My work is at the crossroads of statistics, machine learning, image processing, computer vision, and now quantum computing. I am interested in tackling practical problems that arise in Earth observation, to bring solutions to current environment and population challenges. For current works, check the resources on learning beyond labels or my latest publications.
I am an associate editor of the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters (GRSL). I co-organise the CVPR Earth Vision worskhop series (this year’s edition: CVPR’2022/EarthVision’22 workshop) and the ESA-ECMWF Machine Learning for Earth System Observation and Prediction workshop series (last year’s edition: ML4ESOP’2021). I am currently a guest editor of J. of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing (JSTARS) for the special issue about “Quantum resources for Earth Observation” til end of December 2022.
- [December 2022] The Weather4Cast competition on using ML to predict rain evnts from satellite imagery is at NeurIPS’2022.
- [November 2022] I co-organise the 3rd ESA / ECMWF workshop on Machine Learning for Earth Observations and Predictions (ML4ESOP) at Reading (UK), 14-17 November 2022.
- [November 2022] I am at QTML’2022 in Naples (Italy) where I present the ESA QC4EO initiative in the industry panel and support Michal Siemaszko for our paper on Rapid training of quantum recurrent neural networks.
- [October 2022] New paper on Learning Local Depth Regression from Defocus Blur by Soft-Assignment Encoding in Applied Optics by PhD student Rémy Leroy!
- [September 2022] On Sep. 20 my student Gaston Lenczner defends his PhD on Interactive Semantic Segmentation of Aerial Images with Deep Neural Networks!
- [August 2022] I co-organise the Weather4Cast competition at NeuRIPS’22: predict rain forecasts from clouds as seen in meteo satellite images. Partnership between ESA Φ-lab IARAI (AT), AEMET (ES) and Silesian Univ. of Technology (PL).
- [July 2022] At IGARSS’22 I organise and chair 2 invited sessions on 𝐀𝐈4𝐄𝐎 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐂𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡 and 𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧-𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐜 𝐀𝐈4𝐄𝐎. Also 3 new articles with lead authors / PhD students Christel Chappuis on 𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐔𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆, Gaston Lenczner on 𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐋𝐘-𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒-𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐒𝐄𝐆𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍, and Su Yeon Chang on 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐔𝐌 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐂𝐈𝐑𝐂𝐔𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐇 𝐎𝐁𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.
- [July 2022] On July 6th, I will give a talk on Physical and data-driven modelling for Earth observation at Workshop on Challenges and Benchmarks for quantitative AI in Complex Fluids and Complex Flows organised by Luca Biferale et al.
- [June 2022] On June 19th, I co-organise the 6th Earth Vision workshop held in conjunction with CVPR 2022