My work is at the crossroads of statistics, machine learning, image processing, computer vision, and now quantum computing. I am interested in tackling practical problems that arise in Earth observation, to bring solutions to current environment and population challenges. For current works, check the resources on learning beyond labels or my latest publications.
I am an associate editor of the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters (GRSL). I co-organise the CVPR Earth Vision worskhop series (this year’s edition: CVPR’2022/EarthVision’22 workshop) and the ESA-ECMWF Machine Learning for Earth System Observation and Prediction workshop series (last year’s edition: ML4ESOP’2021). I am currently a guest editor of J. of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing (JSTARS) for the special issue about “Quantum resources for Earth Observation” til end of December 2022.
- [June 2022] On June 19th, I co-organise the 6th Earth Vision workshop held in conjunction with CVPR 2022
- [May 2022] On May 30th, I will give a keynote talk on Quantum Computing for Earth Observation at the Summer School of the IEEE GRSS working group on High Performance and Disruptive Computing
- [May 2022] On May 20th, I am delighted to be reviewer in the PhD Defence committee of Nico Lang at ETH Zurich, along with Konrad Schindler (ETHZ / Photogramm. and Remote Sensing Group ), Jan Dirk Wegner (Univ. of Zurich / EcoVision), Irena Hajnsek (ETHZ) and Walter Jetz (Yale University).
- [May 2022] On May 4th, I will give a keynote talk on AI4EO, Present and Future at the Swiss Remote Sensing Days 2022 in Ascona, Ticino (CH).
- [February 2022] I co-organise the Hyperview challenge for soil component estimation from hyperspectral images. Start now and grand final at ICIP’2022.
- [January 2022] I co-organise (one more time!) with Javiera Castillo-Navarro, Ronny Haensch et al. the IEEE GRSS Data Fusion Contest 2022 of the IEEE GRSS IADF Working group. We provide a new version of MiniFrance augmented with an elevation model, MiniFrance-DFC22, to propose a worldwide benchmark and competition for semi-supervised semantic segmentation in Earth observation.
- [December 2021] New paper “On Circuit-based Hybrid Quantum Neural Networks for Remote Sensing Imagery Classification” published in JSTARS with Alessandro Sebastianelli and Daniela Zaidenberg as first authors and Dario Spiller and Silvia Ullo.
- [November 2021] New paper on “Energy-based Models in Earth Observation: from Generation to Semi-supervised Learning” published in TGRS with Javiera Castillo-Navarro, Alexandre Boulch and Sébastien Lefèvre.
- [November 2021] I co-organise the ESA 5th Quantum Technology Conference and chair a session on “Quantum Computing” with speakers Seth Lloyd and Sofia Vallecorsa on Nov. 25.
- [November 2021] I co-organise the ESA - ECMWF 2nd Workshop on Machine Learning for Earth System Observation and Prediction and chair a session on “Enhancing Satellite Observation with Machine Learning” with speakers Ribana Roscher and Diego Valsesia on Nov. 15.